Here are the most popular Amazon Kindle books of all time
Happy birthday, Kindle!
Nov. 19, 2017, marks a whopping 10 years since the debut of the Amazon Kindle. And whether you’re a die-hard ereader or you prefer to stick with physical books, it’s hard to deny that the Kindle has indelibly shaped the book world, allowing readers to carry a personal library around with them everywhere.
In honor of the Kindle’s 10-year anniversary, Amazon released new data from Amazon Charts, sharing some of the most popular Kindle books of all time, based on Kindle sales in both fiction and nonfiction.
Notably, the entire list of the top 10 most popular fiction books on Kindle star female protagonists, and nine of the 10 books were written by female authors. The only male writer on the fiction list is John Green for his novel The Fault In Our Stars. Also, for fiction, all of the most popular novels also have had movie adaptations (or have movie adaptations upcoming), and six of the 10 are entries in book trilogies. In other words, readers are finding characters they love and sticking with them.
The results of the most popular nonfiction books are more varied. Readers devoured topics ranging from deep dives back into World War II to Cheryl Strayed’s hike through the Pacific Crest Trail to self help on how to speak the language of love.
Check out the full list of results for the most popular Kindle books of all time below.
Top 10 Kindle books of all time (fiction)
1. Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James
2. The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1) by Suzanne Collins
3. Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 2) by Suzanne Collins
4. Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins
5. Fifty Shades Darker by E L James
6. Fifty Shades Freed by E L James
7. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
8. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
9. The Help by Katherine Stockett
10. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Top 10 Kindle books of all time (nonfiction)
1. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
2. Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo, Sonja Burpo, and Lynn Vincent
3. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
4. The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
5. Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
6. The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman
7. Bossypants by Tina Fey
8. American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in the U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle, Scott McEwen, and Jim DeFelice
9. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot